Wednesday 5 March 2014

My Hair Story


Hair! Every female frets about it. It's just that some admit it, some don't. I'm one of those who admit it. Openly. But most of the time, it's simply waste of time and energy because no amount of fretting is going to yield positive results.

I love long hair. Long and straight. When you have straight hair, it feels fantastic to try on new hairstyles. Bouncy layers remain bouncy, scattered layers look scattered and fringes look perfect. However, if you have wavy or curly hair like me, forget about hairstyles. No matter which hairstyle you choose, you will always have the same hairstyle. 

I always had a dream to look like this:
                      
                                     

But I always end up looking like this:

 

If you mean to tell me I should go to a good saloon using fancy hair products, I have done that. Short of going for hair straightening, I have tried it all. Let me tell you about my latest hair debacle. Recently my cousin got married, and I had serious plans for my hair. I was going to wear a saree with a sophisticated hair do. I wanted to look like this:

 

 And I ended up looking like this: 



The reason being? My hair refused to stay straight for the bun. It took 2 hours for the hairstylist to give me the look that I wanted and my hair took an hour to get their own way.

As I've been alive for decades, I've found enough time to ponder upon my hair. Being a management student, I've done a systematic research. Let's have a look at the research:

Current scenario:

  • Curly hair which looks same whether it's been cut by an expert stylist (who charged me a small fortune for it) or by me (very cost effective as I just hack my hair with kitchen scissors in the balcony. Don't ask me what my neighbors think of me when they see me doing it.)
  • Hair fall (As my hair grows, I tend to shed hair like a cat. I'm still trying to figure out if I'm a were-cat!)
Solutions tried:
  • Regular hair spa (Believe me, I have literally cried while paying for this. Had I invested this much money in real estate, I'd have made Donald Trump look like a puny)
  • Doctor treatments (Dermatologists don't do anything except robbing you blind. Their medications have never worked for me, nor I've seen it working for my friends. Mind you, I've visited more than one doctor)
  • Keep hair short (This works like magic. I don't lose hair when my hair are shoulder length.)
  • Using hair oil (I've tried all types of hair oil, including olive and home-made ones. I don't get anything except pimples, even on my hairline)
Conclusion:

After trying these many things for the hair I want, I've nearly given up. I think God wants me to be content with the lot that I've been dealt with. Consequently, many times I cut my hair on my own or go to a saloon if I want to be happy for a day or two. For hair fall, I keep on growing hair until the hair fall is manageable. The day I start worrying about the rate of hair fall, my scissors need exercise!
   

This post was written for #DovePlay held by Dove in association with Indiblogger.in

41 comments:

  1. Don't despair, Pankti. My friends in college used to say 'Where there is Neelesh there is a way.' You still haven't tried out one option - A wig. (I'm serious. Many models /heroines/celebrities whose hair isn't how it is shown in ads use wigs.) A good wig costs around 50K and lasts a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wig :O :O :O I guess I'd look even more ridiculous than I'm looking like!

      Delete
  2. Oh I loved your sketches and was smiling all the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pankti, the frizzy hair bun rather looks good! Just add some smile and you are good to go! :) And yes, the look reminded me of Kangana, she looks so awesome in them messy curls. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ragini, unfortunately I don't look as good as Kangana! Otherwise I'd be walking on cloud 9!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post Pankti..loved your crisp take and girl, you are sooo good with doodles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your doodles and I am sure you must have looked marvelous with those frills, pankti :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I don't Ruchira :( Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  6. Your artwork complimented the article, which I liked and can sympathize with, as I'm having a bad hair day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The drawings were funny. You are becoming a pro at contests. Unfortunately this is a contest with only consolation prizes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know about the prizes. I just wanted to write about it since the idea was brewing in my head since the Sunsilk Contest!

      Delete
  8. My net disconnected unexpectedly and I don' t know whether you got my comment first time around, so here's a second go.

    I loved your post, especially the hacking with kitchen scissor bit. You look quite in your profile picture Pankti, don't let the neighbours nasty glares get to you. All the best for the contest Pankti, though I believe that I will definitely be seeing your name in the winner's list

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post pankti. Those illustrations looks so cool (and identical to you!)
    Bravo!! You have really put your heart in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha. I can so identify with everything you've written. The curly hair woes. Very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can totally relate to this post. The curly hair woes. Very well written. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was utterly marvellous Pankti! I could visualize the entire episode. Your post is brilliant, really! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha! That was simply marvellous, Pankti! I could actually visualize the entire episode! Your post is brilliant, really! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL! Your contrast situation brought back memory of one party. We were in Bangalore, invited to a party in five star. I was newly wedded n I spent 2 hours ironing my hair and come famous Bangalore rain and I hair, instead of looking poker straight, looked like hakka noodles :D

    Had fun reading it, Pankti. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saru, this is my life story. Glad you enjoyed it :D

      Delete
  15. Pankti - Nice read! why dont you invest in a straightening iron instead. Don't have to worry about the mangled mess, i feel your pain, the same wavy texture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anjali, I'm not going for hair straightening cause I'm scared of epic hair fall. I'm anyway losing hair like a cat and just don't want to end up bald :(

      Delete
  16. Lol!!
    Oh! I sympathise my dear!! The last time I got my hair styled, it lasted 2 hrs.
    I got it done again today and I'm hoping it lasts!
    I tame my wavy curly hair into a ponytail and I so wish I could just leave it!
    Hugs!! You aren't alone with hair woes :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahaha.. Sorry to be laughing at your plight Pankti.. but seriously this was your best post that I have read.. And what doodles !! Amazing :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha, I know exactly how you feel!!! The flat iron however, was a revelation for me. People ask me what facial I've been doing and if I've lost weight - when all I've done is iron my hair!!! Yes, yes I know about the damage part, but my hair actually 'looks' healthier after ironing ;). Great post and congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah....I'm not ironing due to the fear of hairfall. Thanks for reading me.

      Delete
  19. Pankti you should try mention below things :

    1) Try applying Egg and curd mixture on your hair. Dont worry if this does not work.
    2) Try ironing your hair daily. Dont worry even if this does not work.
    3) Cut your hair to Indira Gandhi Style. Na rahegi baas, na rehegi basuri.

    Hope you will try and share it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I am not going to try any of the options!

      Delete
  20. I had left a big fat one here too :( :( but I will nowww


    I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post.. I am a sucker for such happpy drawing.. i can't even draw a single line with a scale.. the pictures are ssoooo preetttyyy and i love the whole tale too..

    especially the parts I wanted to look like this but i ended up looking like this.. that gave me big lolllll but you're too harsh on yourself... I have pretty okay hair but when I wake up in the morning, it is like my hair is a home for beehive :P :D :D

    I love the way you used the words.. rolling rolling rolling and SCISSOR EXERCISE.. that sealed the deal for me :P :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shruti, I love drawing...in fact, when I was a kid, used to draw all the time. Unfortunately being a corporate slave nowadays, don't get enough time to draw. But really appreciate you like my doodles :D

      I ain't too harsh on myself. My hair really really do have a mind of their own. I never know how they are going to look in the end. All my plans to have a certain look are always wasted when it comes to my hair :( And morning hair! God, those are way, way horrible. I know as I suffer from that too :P

      Glad to know you love my scissors exercising :P :D

      Delete
  21. Nice drawings. Like the fact that you took the trouble to colour them in...

    I don't know why people who have curly hair complain so much. I could do with some curls, and I like gurls with curls ( or is it girls with cirls ? Damn English language! )

    ReplyDelete