Sunday 8 December 2013

Book Review: Chakra



Book Title: Chakra
Author: Ritu Lalit
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Price: Rs. 245 (On the book cover)

Synopsis (On the back of the cover)

The Japas are a race so secretive that their existence is dismissed as a myth. Tales of them abound in our mythology, telling of these men and women, possessing physical abilities beyond belief, playing with elements, with the power to curse and cure. They exist among us, mingle with us, ride our metros, visit our malls, and even go to the same schools and colleges as us.

Parineeta Mohan is a powerful Japni who has turned her back on The Witch Way. She has even brought up her niece and nephew as ordinary people, unaware of their heritage.


Their life changes when the kids disappear along with their cousin Roma.

A shocked and desperate Parineeta has to find them before enemies of her family do, and has no one to turn to but Jorawar, a man she is attracted to but cant trust since he belongs to the sinister organization Pax.

The only way she can fight, win and survive is to embrace her heritage, return to The Witch Way.


                                                         Review

As soon as I read the blurb, I was intrigued. Although I am not a serious fantasy reader, I do enjoy those stories every now and then; and I was quite curious to read a fantasy novel by an Indian author. I am desperately hoping for some Indian author to beat Harry Potter series to pulp in the book sales.

But I digress. Coming back to Chakra, the story starts with a yagna being held by different Japa clans and the battle for power breaks out during the yagna itself. Although the description of the scene is awesome, too many characters are introduced in the first chapter itself and that might leave you reeling. However, do proceed further and you won’t regret it.

From thereon, the story moves fast with quite a bit of action and an intricate plot. I don’t want to go into the details of the story as that might be construed as a spoiler but enough to say I enjoyed reading it. My only complaint in the book is the lack of in-depth development of the characters, especially the emotional side. I’d have loved to read about Parineeta’s deeper feelings for her brother and boyfriend but it wasn’t there. Also, I found the end little bit unsatisfactory, given the awesome build up in the middle. But then I have heard that it’s a trilogy and that might be the reason why I feel it’s incomplete.


                                                Ratings: 6.5 out of 10

Grammar and Punctuation: Ritu Lalit is an editor by profession and you can see that in her writings. Good use of grammar and punctuations to paint the scene before your eyes. My rating would be 1.5 out of 2.

Flow of the Story: The story starts on quite a complex note but as it proceeds, it turns griping. It builds a good climax but unfortunately at the end, it falls flat. Also, I think the characters needed a better defining. So, 1 out of 2 for the flow.

Concept: I absolutely loved the concept. This is the kind of the story that has the potential to beat the crap out of Harry Potter series if handled correctly. I would rate it 2 out of 2 for the concept.

Reaction: Although the book has its flaws, it was a good read. I will definitely recommend it as a one-time read. 2 out of 4 for reaction.

If you anyone else has read it and want to discuss the book, please comment. We can start discussing it right here. No kidding.

 

6 comments:

  1. A very thoughtful and honest review Pankti! :)
    This one is already in my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you should definitely read. It has a good number of fascinating characters :)

      Delete
  2. Nice review. Ritu has a thing about her writing!

    www.numerounity.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am yet to read it and judging by your review I think I'll pick it up soon!

    ReplyDelete